HAPPY SPRING TO ALL OF YOU!
So good that we can get outside and enjoy fresh air and each other.We have some upcoming classes and information to share with you:
APRIL is Dr. Ley’s birthday month and to celebrate, we are offering all NEW PATIENT exams until April 30th at $60 (normally $160).
***Weston A Price Potluck and Movie, “1986 THE ACT“: Friday, May 14th at 6PM -our office. Please bring a healthy (ancient tradition) side or main dish or accompaniment to share. RSVP to 410 628-9355. Bring a friend!
***We have a new ACUPUNCTURIST, Brooke Hartley, who is here on Tuesdays . She has an herbology backround and is also a Nutrition Therapist. Please see our website for more information.
***Ionic Foot Baths are new here too, and we have our resident POTTERY expert and our new office manager, Charlene, to help you detox your body. Please go on our website to schedule or call us.
****We will be closed for one week for vacation so we will see you after the 19th
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
We have fallen upon evil times; the world has waxed old and wicked. Politics are very corrupt. Children are no longer respectful to their elders. Each man wants to make himself conspicuous and write a book. – Translation on an inscription on a tablet in the Imperial Museum at Constantinople, Turkey. Naram Sin, 5000 BC
In This Issue…
All women in all times of their lives i nfancy, childhood, puberty, pregnancy, labor, delivery and menopause benefit from chiropractic care. Wow do men have so many “times” in their lives? Did you ever wonder why pregnant women crave pickles and sauerkraut? But all of us, men and women, are students and chiropractic is also especially good for students. And, of course, lots of chiropractic research and don’t forget our great humor section (with a bonus).
How Does Chiropractic Help Women?
Since chiropractic’s inception spinal care and adjustments have been a blessing to millions of women of all ages.
Chiropractic helps girls grow into healthy women and has helped women with menstrual problems as well as many other conditions.
Pregnant women are able to be analyzed and adjusted throughout the (hopefully) 9 months and the result is an easier pregnancy and delivery. Late in the pregnancy some modifications to posture and position are considered.
How does chiropractic help? The pelvic area receives an intense amount of nerve communications from the spinal column. The nerves that exit the brain and travel down your spine branch off to the ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, kidneys, adrenal glands and other internal organs. All these organs (and many more) need a healthy, uninterrupted nerve supply to function properly.
The role of the chiropractor is to make sure there are no distortions, blockages, subluxations and other forms of nerve interference in your spine.
There are many clinical studies showing chiropractic helps women with menstrual pain and discomfort, menstrual irregularities, sexual function, fertility, pregnancy and menopause. (1-3)
Eat Fermented Foods Every Day
Do you eat a pickle with your food? You should eat that and more! Our ancestors, as well as many people in cultures all over the world today, would never think of having a meal without including a fermented food.
They were very wise. Research tells us that in order to ensure a healthy gut, fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir, kim-chi, kombucha, kvass, pickles and more are essential. These foods are important for optimal physical and brain function because they improve intestinal health. Among the many studies showing the benefits is this one:
The consumption of fermented foods may be particularly relevant to the emerging research linking traditional dietary practices and positive mental health… It is our contention that properly controlled fermentation may often amplify the specific nutrient and phytochemical content of foods, the ultimate value of which may be associated with mental health; furthermore, we also argue that the microbes (for example, Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria species) associated with fermented foods may also influence brain health via direct and indirect pathways. (4)
While we’re on the subject of fermented foods, please keep in mind that the number of bacteria and other microorganisms in your intestine (gut microbiota) is ten times the number of cells in your body. You are more ‘them’ than ‘you’! If you include the mitochondria that are found in every cell that are believed to be from ancient bacteria then what you think of as you is a small part of your entire being. Isn’t life amazing?
You need a healthy balance of life forms in your gut. They are your friends. If their balance is off?that is, too many of one, not enough of the other – your physical and mental health will suffer.
Studies have shown that when the gut microbiota is changed by drugs (such as antibiotics) this causes your immune system to malfunction triggering an autoimmune disorder. That is why children should be kept as antibiotic free as possible especially newborns and babies.
Bugs, Germs and Viri – Oh My!
There are millions of people throughout the world who are in desperate need of a chiropractic adjustment. Many people’s very lives may depend on their seeing a chiropractor. And yet, because of their ignorance or misconceptions about this field of healthcare, such people will never benefit from its healing power.
Chiropractic’s purpose is to bring the body into harmony and balance with its internal environment and bring the person into harmony and balance with their external environment.
We breathe in millions of microorganisms from our external environment and balance them with the millions, billions and trillions of microorganisms already in our body. When they are in balance, they provide excellent immunity. All these microorganisms actually keep your body and mind functioning at its optimum.
When a chiropractor adjusts your body to release subluxations, your immune system works. Chiropractic improves your physical and mental function.
Questions and Answers
Q. Can chiropractic help students get better grades?
A. Yes! Chiropractic has been shown to improve concentration, attention span, grades and interpersonal behavior. Chiropractic has even been shown to increase IQ, coordination and self-esteem along with overall body function. (5-7)
Words of Wisdom
In the old days, men had the rack, now they have the press. – Oscar Wilde
A useless life is an early death. -Goethe
The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. – Mark Twain
Did You Know?
- Spaghetto, confetto and graffito are the singular forms of spaghetti, confetti and graffiti.
- An adult bear has 42 teeth: 4 prominent and curved canines, 12 incisors, 16 premolars, and 10 molars. A bear’s claws are relatively shorter than their teeth.
- 1 in 500 people has an extra rib. This is known as the cervical rib and it comes from the seventh cervical vertebra and is located above the normal first rib.
- The fortune cookie was invented in San Francisco in the early 1890s.
- The oldest English still in use is ‘town.’ The first dictionary took note of this in 1755.
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seem to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Eczema, allergies and insomnia. A 4-year-old boy suffering from eczema, allergies and insomnia was brought to a chiropractic office. He had a full body rash that lasted for a year and a half. His parents applied topical steroid creams and hydroxyzine to try to alleviate the symptoms, but they were of limited help.
Chiropractic examination revealed the child had vertebral subluxations. Further testing using surface electromyography and thermal scamming demonstrated that his nervous system was indeed under stress.
After two months of chiropractic care the mother reported a dramatic decrease in eczema symptoms and severity. She added that her child was happier, more engaged in playing, with less allergic reactions and sleeping better. (8)
Low heart rate, fatigue, lightheadedness. A 74-year-old woman visited her neighborhood chiropractic clinic complaining of a low heart rate for 4 months duration. She was also experiencing fatigue and lightheadedness.
Chiropractic X-ray examination revealed an upper cervical (neck) subluxation. Over an 8-week period the patient was seen for 20 office visits and during that time she received six adjustments.
She reported improvement of her heart rate and symptoms of fatigue and dizziness after the third adjustment. Later X-rays showed a reduction in the upper cervical subluxation. (9)
Frozen shoulder. A 68-year-old man began chiropractic care who had been previously diagnosed with “frozen shoulder.” His problems were complicated by degeneration of the joins in the neck and in the shoulder joint (degenerative joint disease or DJD). Vertebral subluxations were analyzed and located.
Chiropractic care corrected spinal subluxations. The patient showed an increase in range of motion of the left shoulder and also experienced decreased pain. (10)
The following questions were seen in a GED examination of 18-year-olds.
Q. Name the four seasons.
A. Salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar.
Q. How is dew formed?
A. The sun shines down on the leaves and makes them perspire.
Q. What guarantees may a mortgage company insist on?
A. If you are buying a house they will insist that you are well endowed.
Q. In a democratic society, how important are elections?
A. Very important. Sex can only happen when a male gets an election.
Q. What are steroids?
A. Things for keeping carpets still on the stairs. (Shoot yourself now, there is little hope.)
Q. What happens to your body as you age?
A. When you get old, so do your bowels and you get intercontinental.
Q. What happens to a boy when he reaches puberty?
A. He says goodbye to his boyhood and looks forward to his adultery.
Q. Name a major disease associated with cigarettes.
A. Premature death.
Please write or stop by and give us your feedback. Are there any subjects you’d like to hear about? Anything you dislike? Feedback is always important to us. And, of course, if you’d like hard copies of this newsletter stop by the office and we’ll give you some for your friends and relatives. If they have email, have them write to us and we’ll add them to our subscriber list.
1. Leboeuf-Yde C, Axen I, Ahlefeldt G et al. The types and frequencies of nonmusculoskeletal symptoms reported after chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy. JMPT. 1999;22(9):559-564.
2. Browning JE. Distractive manipulation protocols in treating the mechanically induced pelvic pain and organic dysfunction patient. Chiropractic Technique. 1995;7(1):1-11.
3. Browning JE. The mechanically induced pelvic pain and organic dysfunction syndrome: an often overlooked cause of bladder, bowel, gynecological, and sexual dysfunction. J Neuromusculoskeletal System. 1996;4(2):52-66.
4. Selhub EM, Logan AC, Bested AC. Fermented foods, microbiota, and mental health: ancient practice meets nutritional psychiatry. J Physiological Anthropology. 2014;33(1):2.
5. Mathews MO. Pilot study on the value of applied kinesiology in helping children with learning disabilities. J New Zealand Register of Osteopaths. 1993;6:21-23.
6. Ferreri CA, Wainwright RB. Breakthrough for dyslexia and learning disabilities Author: Exposition Press of Florida, Inc. 1986.
7. Carrick FR. Changes in brain function after manipulation of the cervical spine. JMPT. 1997;20(8):29-45.
8. Knowles DM, Knowles RM, Sunakawa K. Improvement in eczema, allergies, insomnia and quality of life in a four-year-old child following chiropractic: a case report & review of the literature. J Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic. February 8, 2021:5-10.
9. Osborne C, Rauch B. Improvement in heart rate, heart rate variability & reduction in dysautonomia in a 74-year-old female undergoing upper cervical chiropractic care: a case report & review of the literature. J Upper Cervical Chiropractic Research. January 27, 2021:1-9.
10. Drzewiecki M. Resolution of frozen shoulder in a 68-year-old male following chiropractic care: a case study. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. July 19, 2020:93-102.
In this world of short attention span people who actually read this entire newsletter deserve a reward. Here it is.
There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is ‘UP.’
- It’s easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?
- At a meeting, why does a topic come UP?
- Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?
- We call UP our friends.
- And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen.
- We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car.
- At other times the little word has real special meaning.
- People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.
- To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.
- A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.
- We open UP a store in the morning, but we close it UP at night.
- We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!
- To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary.
- In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.
- If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used.
- It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don’t give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.
- When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP.
- When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing UP.
- When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.
- When it doesn’t rain for a while, things dry UP.
- One could go on and on, but I’ll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so … it is time to shut UP!
- Now it’s UP to you what you do with this information. Maybe send it to a school teacher?